Skip to content

Car Finance Expert Q&A

Hi, I'm Edwin and I'm here to help you!
image description

Edwin Miles. Underwriting Manager

Car Finance Calculator

Calculate your loan immediately


How can I help you?

Do you have a question about Carfinance247 or its services? If so, please complete the form below for a response within 1 working hours. I have over 7 years experience working for Carfinance247 and have the responsibility to answer all questions asked.

Can someone else insure a car on finance?

Hi, I have a car on finance in my name, however I don't need the car at the moment and my insurance ends soon.

Can my girlfriend insure the car, just stating that she is not the owner of the vehicle?

Posted by Matt on


Hi Matt, a good question and apologies for the delayed response.

As your girlfriend isn't the registered keeper she can't be the main driver on the insurance policy as the car is registered in your name on the finance agreement and the V5.

In fact, the car belongs to the finance company until all payments have been made. From my understanding the way round this would be to keep the insurance in your name and have your girlfriend as a named driver on your policy.

That way round everyone is happy. I hope this helps. Kind Regards, Edwin

Posted by on

Rate Edwin’s advice.

image description


Hello, I've just asked an insurance company if I purchase a car on finance and I'm the registered keeper can my son be named driver. This was the reply.

Dear Mrs Cart,

If you are the owner and registered keeper of the vehicle we will not cover this vehicle under your sons name (I said he will be main driver) . You will have to have an insurance policy in your name, or your son will have to be the owner and registered keeper.

If you have any other queries please do not hesitate to contact us. Many Thanks

I'm a bit confused as I stated I will also be a named driver along with my son they still say no.

Posted by Cal Carter on


Hi Cal,

What your insurance company says makes sense. You have to be the main driver on the policy as the car is registered in your name. Your son can then be a named driver on the policy.

If you'd like to see if we can help you with the car finance please make an application. If approved, you can choose a car from any reputable dealer and we also provide a no obligation quote. Kind Regards, Edwin

Posted by on

Do you have a question on this topic?

Ask a question or leave a comment on this topic below

Back to Car Finance Expert Q&A

Back to top