How to find the registered keeper of a car

Wondering how to find the registered keeper of car? Here’s everything you need to know

Written by Verity Hogan
Main image

When you’re buying a new car or selling your existing vehicle, paperwork is probably not the first thing you think about. But sorting the documentation to change a vehicle’s registered keeper is an important part of the process. Luckily, it’s usually pretty straightforward to get sorted.

When might you need to find the registered keeper of a car?

There are a few reasons why people might need to find out who is the registered keeper of a car.

The police or parking enforcement officers might look for this after an accident, if a vehicle has been abandoned or parked on private land, or if someone has driven off without paying for something.

You might also wish to look for this if you have suspicions about a used car that you’re considering buying or it’s missing its V5 logbook. In this case, if the logbook can’t be produced then you should walk away from the purchase and if you do suspect the car is being sold illegally, contact the police as soon as possible.

Can a private car parking company find out a car’s registered keeper?

A private car parking company can only find out the registered keeper of a car if they are a member of the British Parking Association (BPA) or the International Parking Community.

This means that any parking company that requests this info to issue a parking ticket or trespass charge but isn’t a member of these organisations is breaking the law.

How to find the registered keeper of a car

If you would like to find the registered keeper of a car, you’ll need to request one of four forms from the DVLA:

  • V888 – if you’re making the request as an individual
  • V888/3 – if you’re a company that issues parking or trespass charge notices

If you’re another type of company:

  • V888/2A - to request the name and address of the vehicle keeper
  • V888/2B - to request information about the vehicle itself, such as insurance details.

Can you change the registered keeper of a car?

Yes, you can. If you’re selling a car, you’ll need to transfer your V5C certificate or logbook over to the new keeper as this’ll be their proof of ownership. You should also tell the DVLA.

If you are transferring the ownership through a car dealer, then they will be responsible for letting the DVLA know that the vehicle has a new owner. You should receive a confirmation of this within four weeks.

What about transferring car tax?

Unfortunately, road tax can’t be transferred to the new car owner. Instead, they must start paying road tax from the date the purchase is made.

Verity Hogan

* The UK's number one online car finance broker by unique users to the website. Based on Hitwise data – 1,746,657 to CarFinance 247 vs. 666,020 for nearest competitor. January to December 2019.

96% of our customers recommend us: † Based on feedback left on independent review site Reviewcentre. May 2019.

CarFinance 247 is a trading name of CarFinance 247 Limited, a credit broker and insurance intermediary, and 247 Money Group Limited (247 Money), a lender. Both companies are part of the 247 group of companies.

CarFinance 247 is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under reference number: 653019. Registered office: Universal Square, Devonshire Street North, Manchester, M12 6JH. Registered in England. Company registration no. 06035525. Data Protection Registration Number Z1897658.

247 Money is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered office: Universal Square, Devonshire Street North, Manchester, M12 6JH. Registered in England. Company registration no. 10989530. Data Protection Registration Number ZA456831.

All finance is subject to status and income. Written quotations on request. CarFinance 247 can introduce you to a limited number of finance providers, including 247Money, based upon your credit rating and will receive commission for such introductions.

† We do not charge a fee for arranging the finance, however some of our lenders may charge a fee. Your account manager can provide more information on this

This site uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience. By continuing to use the site you are consenting for cookies to be used. Further information on cookies and how you can disable them is available on our cookie policy.